Saturday, May 29, 2010

Introduction to the Chicago First Unitarian Universalist Congregation

Duane and I have found a new home (for the time being) in the Unitarian Universalist congregation here in Chicago. I hope this doesn't come as a shock to many of you - this will just be the first time that I have publicly (on my blog) written about our new spiritual home.



Perhaps some of you are wondering what the Unitarians are about? Here is a brief snippet of their non-credial principles:

The Seven Principles

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Here is a picture of some of the ivy that I love some much on the outside of the building:


That's all for now!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Kelty, what made you leave the Church? I knew you had questions and I am sorry if you didn't get the support you needed. I have been to a UU church and the people are all very nice. As nice as I think they are and as welcoming as they may be, I am at a loss of words. I had to fight so hard to join the LDS church and went against what my family wanted and basically put my college, friends, and family on the line but in the end, I knew it was true. I knew that Christ set up a church and that He loves us enough to give us the same organization and revelation that the people of the early church received. I don't know if you will hate me for writing this but I am crying and I can't not say anything. I had no family in the sealing room when I got married and as much as it pained me and my family, I know I made the right decision. It pains me that someone could give all that up when it is something I have had to fight to get. Those covenants that Gary and I and you and Duane made are real. The beautiful initiatory ordinance you went through was real and shows how much Heavenly Father loves you. You ARE precious and you are loved so much. I know how much the Gospel blesses my family and it makes my heart ache that you might give it up for yours. If you need or want to talk to me, feel free to email me or call me. My number is still 801-602-6490. I love you and hope that you know I am only writing because I care for you.

Whatever is On What's Left of My Mind said...

I have found a church "home" and spiritual "family" at St Mark's Episcopal in SLC. If the UU is not a perfect fit I suggest you try out the Episcopalians. I have found them to be welcoming, non-judgmental and fairly liberal. And I love the liturgy and gorgeous music. I am very happy for you that you have found some place where you can be free to honestly be yourselves within a spiritual community. Congratulations.